Please note: I highly recommend you purchase a couching foot if you don’t already have one. Most of my students buy one after taking my class so it’s better if you buy it before! It is not required but it makes your life much easier and since so many students continue to make other pieces after the class is over, you will probably use it in the future. My favorite couching foot is call the Pearls N Piping foot. It fits all machines although if you have a Bernina, you might also need a special attachment to make it fit. I will bring extra feet to the class in case you want to “try before you buy”!
Teacher will provide: I will be providing a kit with some specialty materials. I will also be bringing my personal stash of couching and rattail fibers that you are free to use for your project.
You need to bring to class:
- Sewing machine with at least 10 decorative stitches (well-oiled, lint free, with a new #12 Topstitch needle)
- General sewing supplies (small scissors, seam ripper, extra needles in a variety of sizes, pins, etc)
- Decorative stitch guide for your machine (or bring actual samples of all the decorative machine stitches you made when you got your machine – you did that, right?)
- All the feet that came with your machine or that you have purchased
- Instruction manual for your sewing machine
- All your bobbins (with or without thread)
- Lots of Thread (all colors — my favorite is variegated — including white & black, all types including cotton, polyester, nylon, etc – don’t buy any, just bring what you have – the more choices the better.)
- Batik Fat Quarter (FQ) – choose something without a lot of design on it since you want your stitching to show – not the underlying fabric. If you can find a batik with multiple colors, that would be a great choice. Stripes are absolutely awesome (although hard to find). Also, solid colors (light and dark) batiks work well too. Bring lots of choices!
- Hand embroidery hoop
- Optional: If you have a rotary cutter and cutting mats, please bring that along.
Kit & Materials Fee: $15.00 to be paid by cash or check directly to the teacher the day of the class