The Mad Alchemist’s Apothecary Kit with Michael deMeng
$275.00 – $400.00
May 12-14, 2017 OR May 12-13, 2017 – you choose!
10 am – 6 pm with 1 hour lunch
Student level: All
Sorry, this workshop has been canceled. 🙁
In this class we are going to play with a little hocus pocus of years gone by and create an apothecary box for special potions to remedy whatever ails you. The apothecary box will be highly personalized, using found objects and the process of assemblage and you’ll modify the bottles and containers for all your elixirs and concoctions. In one instance I created a kit for artists who also happen to be vampire hunters…you never can be too careful. The skies the limit: love potions, shrinking pills, anti-snoring balms…whatever inspires you. Hurry, hurry step right up and enter a land of the wondrous and strange.
Final registration date: April 24 ($400 for 3 days; $275 for 2 days)
- A case, jewelry box, cosmetic case you would like to use as the structure…this can be as big as you want but remember that you have to get it back home with you. Don’t spend a ton of money on this…we are going to alter it…dramatically.
- Some variety of vials, perfume bottles, etc. that can be made out of anything under the sun.
- Variety of found objects that might be interesting additions to the apothecary case. The more medically the better. Really anything interesting looking, weird or a combination of both will be perfect. You will most definitely find some interesting things to incorporate while we are in New Orleans .
- Ephemera – you will need some stuff to label you potions. Various types of papers, photographs, or books will come in handy.
- Scraps of material like burlap, velvet, or leather might be nice to adorn the case interior as an option. Paper will work too.
- Paint Brushes (a couple small detail brushes, and some cheap brushes (1/2 inch to 1 inch in size)
- Aves Two Part Apoxie Clay (or Sculpt) 1 lb
- Paints (acrylic –preferably Golden brand)
- Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold (by Golden)
- Quinacridone Crimson
- Dioxazine Purple
- Pthalo Green
- Pthalo Blue
- Tools: Heat gun, Dremel with cut off wheel
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- Save your seat by making a 50% deposit, but you MUST pay the remaining balance by the final signup date. If you aren’t paid in full, you will lose your seat. Deposits are NOT refundable.
- The early bird registration gives you a discount on the class price, if you register and pay in full by the early bird date. If you are not paid in full by the early bird date, you will billed the balance on the full price of the workshop.
- Once you’ve paid for a class, it is your class. You can transfer your seat to someone else if you can’t make it, but there will be no refunds and ABC is not responsible for finding you a replacement.
- If the class is canceled due to low signups, instructor illness/emergency, act of God, etc., students will be issued a refund (minus any PayPal fees).
This year we are holding all of Kelly’s workshops at Art Lab Fort Collins.
239 Linden Street (next to Cozzola’s Pizza)
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Parking for Art Lab can be found within two blocks. There is some parking on Linden Street in front of the Art Lab building, but there is a 2-hour time limit. This pdf from the city shows where the parking garages are. Here is a map of the immediate area around Art Lab.
If you have questions, get lost on the way or need assistance the morning of the workshop, please call Tracey’s mobile 970.744.9030.