The image and legend of the mermaid has captivated countless artists from across the globe and throughout the ages, and I am certainly no exception. In this three part series of workshops we shall indulge this somewhat fishy attraction, explore some inspiring mermaid “tales,” and create a beautiful trio of art-ifacts that look as though they have been recently rescued from the blue depths, having been tucked away under the sea by one of these beautiful, awe-inspiring, and ever mysterious creatures.
Evidence of Mermaids Part I: Treasure Box with Thomas Ashman
Friday, July 7, 2017
10 am – 5 pm
Student level: All
In this workshop, we’ll explore several fun and unique ways to alter metal with fire and chemical patinas as we transform a simple tin lunchbox into a fantastic mermaid’s treasure chest. We’ll fabricate some fancy legs out of copper tubing, attach a pretty image under glass to the lid, and decorate with patinated chain, wire, hardware, and other various FO’s and accoutrements fit for a siren. After lining the box with paint, collage, and/or fabric, it’ll be all ready for the Mermaid Glass Journal (Part II) and the Mermaid Bracelet (Part III) or any other sunken treasures of your own.
Early bird signup date: May 7 ($130)
Final registration date: June 7 ($150)
Out of stock
Students must bring the following tools to class or expect to wait in line to share.
- Chain-nose pliers,
- Round-nose pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Hammer and Bench Block/Anvil
- Phillip’s head screwdriver
- Nutdrivers or socket set
- Small Snips/Shears for metal
- Dremel tool with grindstone, sanding barrels, and cut-off wheels
- Drill with small bit assortment (optional)
- Propane torch (optional)
Kit Fee of $35 includes the following:
- Tin lunchbox
- Copper tubing
- Nuts, bolts, and washers
- Copper & brass wire
- Baroque stained glass
- Plumber’s tape
- Fabric & paper
- Images & ephemera
- Patina, clear coat, glue
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- Save your seat by making a 50% deposit, but you MUST pay the remaining balance by the final signup date. If you aren’t paid in full, you will lose your seat. Deposits are NOT refundable.
- The early bird registration gives you a discount on the class price, if you register and pay in full by the early bird date. If you are not paid in full by the early bird date, you will billed the balance on the full price of the workshop.
- Once you’ve paid for a class, it is your class. You can transfer your seat to someone else if you can’t make it, but there will be no refunds and ABC is not responsible for finding you a replacement.
- If the class is canceled due to low signups, instructor illness/emergency, act of God, etc., students will be issued a refund (minus any PayPal fees).
This year we are holding all of Kelly’s workshops at Art Lab Fort Collins.
239 Linden Street (next to Cozzola’s Pizza)
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Parking for Art Lab can be found within two blocks. There is some parking on Linden Street in front of the Art Lab building, but there is a 2-hour time limit. This pdf from the city shows where the parking garages are. Here is a map of the immediate area around Art Lab.
If you have questions, get lost on the way or need assistance the morning of the workshop, please call Tracey’s mobile 970.744.9030.