Reliquary of Inspiration with Leighanna Light
Friday, September 8, 2017
10 am – 6 pm
Student level: All
In this basic assemblage workshop, we will be working with some of my favorite materials: gesso, clay, fabric, paint & found objects. While learning to unify diverse elements and other forgotten bits and pieces, we will work to create a gallery quality assemblage piece, or your own unique personal shrine. Consider enshrining a favorite deity or ancestor, commemorating an important event in your life, or just letting the materials inspire your creativity to wherever the muse leads you. In this light hearted and exploratory workshop, you will learn several valuable mixed media techniques, including surface altering, distressing & design processes, cold connecting objects with hardware and wire, object placement & many other assemblage tips and tricks. You will be able to incorporate these techniques into many other aspects of your own work.
There is a $15 kit fee for this class which includes fabric, a few found objects, cheesecloth, hardware, nails, screws, wire, molds & use of instructors tools & consumables.
Early bird signup date: July 31 ($130)
Final registration date: Aug 18 ($150)
Out of stock
Please read the supply list NOW and collect your supplies early. You may have to order some things online, so please allow plenty of time for this. I do not sell extra supplies in class. You may not be able to complete the project in class if you do not bring what is listed on the supply list. If you have trouble finding anything, or if you have any questions, please contact me at least two week prior to class at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Crafters Pick, the Ultimate Glue, small 2 oz. Bottle. This glue is available at most craft stores or online.
- A shallow box, around 12 x 7”. No deeper than 1 inch. I prefer to use wooden boxes, but an an old cigar box will also work.
- White Gesso– Utrecht Artists’ Acrylic Gesso, White, Medium Bodied, at least 6 oz.
- Paperclay, 8 oz. Most craft stores have this.
- Paint– bring a small amount of 2 or 3 colors, Raw umber works well for aging surfaces.
- Brushes– inexpensive craft brushes, at least a 1/2 inch wide.
- Found objects– think about smaller found objects to use to embellish the frame of the box
- Cheesecloth, fabric or fibers. I love to use Sari ribbon, laces, & painted cheesecloth. These will go around her head.
- Something to frame face with, vintage frames, small round metal pieces, wooden coasters…or anything to frame face or put face in
***I will have several of these for the class to share. If you’d rather not wait, please bring your own.
- Carving tools if you have them, or at least a crochet needle- I will have tools with me to share
- A heat gun
- A Hammer
- Carved stamps, bold design for texture
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- Limited seats available. Save your seat by making a 50% deposit, but you MUST pay the remaining balance by the final signup date. If you aren’t paid in full, you will lose your seat. Deposits are NOT refundable.
- The early bird registration gives you a discount on the class price, if you register and pay in full by that date (see registration dates above). If you are not paid in full by the early bird date, you will billed the balance on the full price of the workshop.
- Once you’ve paid for a class, it is your class. You can transfer your seat to someone else if you can’t make it, but there will be no refunds and ABC is not responsible for finding you a replacement.
- If the class is canceled due to low signups, instructor illness/emergency, act of God, etc., students will be issued a refund (minus any PayPal fees).
Please note that this workshop is being held at a private home in Fort Collins. You will receive the address the week of the workshop in your final info email. If you have questions, get lost on the way or need assistance the morning of the workshop, please call Tracey’s mobile 970.744.9030.